Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Whatever happened to....

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    the poster who was going to pitch a Super-8 film class to his buddy teacher.

    We had a lively debate on the subject, but the topic seems to be missing in the archives.

    I think the school was in Texas.

    What happened.

    -Alex

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Alex

    Im not sure who the poster was, but I did mention the thought of bringing Super 8 back into my school at Northridge, but my teacher just looked at me funny when I mentioned it.

    Scott

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    I went to Northridge, who was the professor?

    Is ACTION! still in existence?

    -Alex

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    My approach was more conservative.

    have one group only shoot Super-8mm so they could compare with the Mini-DV groups.

    Did you pitch that?

    -Alex

  5. #5
    Inactive Member AlexGfromUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess educational facilities love video because it is simple to use and the media is very cheap. Shame they don't give students a start in film though, I'd hate to end up suddenly needing to understand how to produce a 16mm film, when I could'nt even handle any film camera at all. I'm so glad I discovered super 8, I think it would be a good teaching medium.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    there is a class offered at UCLA Extension this summer (starting in late June) called "Super 8 as an Art Form." I took this class a year ago and it was quite interesting. Not exactly a production class though. You have to supply your own equipment.
    Here is the instructor's e-mail if any of you are in the L.A. area and are interested:
    [email protected]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member AppleCore24's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:

    My approach was more conservative.

    have one group only shoot Super-8mm so they could compare with the Mini-DV groups.

    Did you pitch that?

    -Alex
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    That is exactly what I pitched. He will be expaning the currently 1 trimester course to a full year corse, and so I thought that he could give each group, say, two weeks to shoot a super8 short. Then they could plan their next project or something while they waited for the film to come back.

    But, basically, he said "no film".

    Why is he doing only video? Well, for one thing, this is a high school we are talking about, not a college. It is a private school, St. Marks school of Texas, which is ranked in the top 5 in the US. Tuitions are high, Ross Perot's grandson goes there, Geraldo Rivera's son goes there, Tommy Lee Jones went there, Owen wilson went there, as well as a bunch of other rich and/or famous people.

    They basically had NO "film" class before my friend, so I thought he'd be open to this. But eveidently not.

    Hey, at least I convinced him to have his kids shoot 16:9 instead of the awful 4:3 we are basically stuck with.

    Speaking of that, anybody know any place other than ebay that sells cheap anamorphic lenses? like, in the $100 range? 1.5X is fine, 2X is fine, anything is fine.

    Thanks a ton.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sadiemayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2000
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    We teach super8 here at the Gulf Islands Film and Television School. We have had tons of success; many of our students have won awards with their films created here at the school. National and international festivals have been very responsive to the medium. If you want more info, visit our Website at WWW.youthfilms.com

    ------------------
    www.youthfilms.com
    Film Boot Camp

  9. #9
    Inactive Member AppleCore24's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey,

    it was me - I pitched it, he said no way. He's a big fan of 16mm, shoots usually 5 or 6 shorts a year on it, but for teaching he refuses to use anything but miniDV.

    I'll keep trying, maybe if I bring in a film to show him he'll "convert"...

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why don't they taech the class in 16mm over MiniDV????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •